Some types of sales cannot be canceled even if they do occur in locations normally covered by the rule. The cooling off rule does not cover sales that have the following conditions:
- the goods or services are intended for commercial purposes
- the goods cost less than $25
- the goods are needed for an emergency
- part of the buyer’s request is that the seller perform maintenance or repairs on the buyer’s personal property
- the purchase results from negotiations whereat the site where the seller’s goods are regularly sold.
Many states have similar consumer protection statutes that contain similar exceptions to the federal cooling-off rule.